Gaming. video games. computers, consoles, handhelds, iphone, tablet; video games come in all sizes and shapes. What are the benefits of gaming?
Evolution of Gaming
From pong to World of Warcraft, gaming has come a long way.
For quite some time, gaming was not only looked at a waste of time, but some regarded gaming as ‘bad’, something only weird or less ‘social’ people would do.
Gaming has evolved and so has the perception of gaming. Being a pro gamer is now a legitimate occupation. The highest paid pro gamer is above 5 million dollar mark in career earnings and there are at least 100 other gamers who are making above 1 million in career earnings.
Money is not all there is to this industry, however. What are the actual health benefits of gaming?
Lets take a look:
Benefits of Gaming
5 Health Benefits of Playing Games According to Science (gamehouse.com)
- Playing games can enhance your memory. …
- Video games can actually improve your eyesight. …
- Playing games can boost your coordination. …
- Video games can help you make better decisions. …
- Playing games can reduce stress and help with depression.
“1. VIDEO GAMES ARE PRODUCING BETTER SURGEONS.
2. VIDEO GAMES COULD HELP PEOPLE OVERCOME DYSLEXIA.
3. VIDEO GAMES COULD IMPROVE YOUR VISION.
4. VIDEO GAMES COULD HELP MAKE YOU A BETTER LEADER.
5. VIDEO GAMES COULD PIQUE YOUR INTEREST IN HISTORY.
6. VIDEO GAMES CAN MAKE KIDS MORE ACTIVE.
7. VIDEO GAMES MIGHT SLOW DOWN THE AGING PROCESS.
8. VIDEO GAMES MIGHT HELP EASE PAIN.
9. VIDEO GAMES CAN HELP YOU MAKE NEW SOCIAL CONNECTIONS.
10. VIDEO GAMES CAN HELP IMPROVE BALANCE IN MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS PATIENTS.
11. THEY CAN HELP IMPROVE YOUR DECISION-MAKING SKILLS.
12. VIDEO GAMES CAN CURB CRAVINGS.
13. VIDEO GAMES CAN REDUCE STRESS.
14. GAMERS MIGHT BE LESS LIKELY TO BULLY.
15. VIDEO GAMES CAN HELP ADDRESS AUTISM.”
While one widely held view maintains that playing video games is intellectually lazy, such play actually may strengthen a range of cognitive skills such as spatial navigation, reasoning, memory and perception, according to several studies reviewed in the article. This is particularly true for shooter video games, which are often violent, the authors found. A 2013 meta-analysis found that playing shooter video games improved a player’s capacity to think about objects in three dimensions just as well as academic courses designed to enhance these same skills, according to the study.https://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/02/video-game
And finally my input of why I think gaming has many benefits.
Final Thoughts of Benefits of Gaming
Aside from the social connection, the team work, communication, fun, the development (learning all the aspects of the game), the continued progression, remembering details, teaching new players, going on adventures (similar to books, a reader lives a thousand lives) there is one major aspect that is overlooked:
When you are really good at something, anything in life, it gives you confidence in yourself. To be good or great at something can improve every other aspect of your life; you can pull confidence from just being great at a video game, if nothing else.
Not to mention, streaming has become very popular. You don’t even need to be a pro-gamer to make a lot of money. Streaming video games has become a huge thing, and I don’t see that going anywhere, anytime soon.